Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Day that will Live in Infamy

Do you know what today is? 

It is the 70th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. 

"December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy, the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.....The facts of yesterday and today speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already former their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation....But always will our whole nation remember the character of the onslaught against us..." 
-Speech by President Roosevelt on December 8, 1941

I grew up in Hawaii. I lived less than 10 minutes away from the Pearl Harbor memorial. I love history and remember it. I also did part of President Roosevelt's speech for my speech class. I don't think I will ever be able to forget about Pearl Harbor. It's something that has been ingrained deep inside of me. Yet every time I see pictures, hear pieces of that speech, or go to the memorial tears come to my eyes. I pray the day that stops never comes. The people of the United States need to ALWAYS always remember the horror, the terror, the sadness, the disaster, and the sacrifice of that day. The freedom we celebrate daily is only had because of the loss of lives that day, the courage that was shone, the tears that was shed, and the sweat that pored out as our nation came together to fight. 

May you never, never, never forget. 



The Arizona memorial today. 

The flag flying over the memorial 



No comments:

Post a Comment