Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Thought provoking thoughts

Tonight at small groups I received some thought provoking thoughts. I know that sounds funny and I kinda mean it to be funny but we will get serious soon. Back to small groups. 

I really think a lot of times as Christians we forget that the Bible, sermons, God's word, and life are supposed to make us think. There are things meant to move us and become "huh" moments. I know I forget that all the time personally. I get lost in my regular day by day moments or within my own spirituality. We (Christians) become Pharisaical and focus on our actions, our checklist. 

Now we are really back at small groups. We have been talking about Paul and the Romans road. Tonight was specifically about Paul's last days in prison and his last letter to Timothy. It was some good stuff. At the end of our discussion the question was "Think about how long you have been saved. Are you spiritually at where you thought you would be 5/6 years ago? Do you want to be the same spiritually in another 20 years? Or do you want to grow, change, move, learn, and breathe God? Think about it."

All I can say is WOW. I have never thought about it that way and that's sad for someone who grew up in church and has been saved for awhile. To make things even more sad I don't like looking back and thinking that way. It isn't great and not really good. My beliefs, views, and standards have altered and changed from 5/6 years ago so I know that makes a difference but not by much. 

What I do know is that I don't want to look back again and be the same. I would hate to look back 5 years  to when I was 18 and realize I haven't matured, grown, or changed. I think everyone feels that way. But why do we let the things that matter just drift on. 

How's that for thought provoking?



More information about small groups found here

No comments:

Post a Comment