Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tie Necklace

Do you like ties? I mean neck ties. Men's neck ties. 

Sometimes they can be very fun. (Though since I don't wear them I guess I can't make an exact opinion) Mainly I'm talking about the fabric pattern. 

When I was in high school I made a skirt out of ties. It was thrown together really. (My impatience came out since I didn't plan it well) I did love that is was so unique and kinda want to make one again. But that's not what this post is about. That skirt just made me have a soft spot for tie fashion. 

When I first got into blog stalking I saw this tutorial for a tie necklace. 
Can you scream LOVE it! 

Since right now I feel like I'm at a decorating crafting stand still I looked through old bookmarks and decided I needed to try this out today. 

I didn't document this tutorial in great detail. I followed the tutorial I shared with you and then changed it a bit when it wouldn't look the same as hers. (How does that always happen to me????)

First you need a tie. Preferably something fun and interesting. I stole one from my brother in law. 


I liked the colors and the pattern. Preppy a bit but fun for a necklace right? 
Once you have your tie start putting in your pleats. So you can figure out how you want it all to lay and how long it needs to be. (Just to put it out there I did this step but somehow still messed it up. I have no clue...)

See. Here. I pinned it and have it laying like the tutorial I followed. 
Anyways, once it is pinned you sew the pleats down in the back of the tie. 
Pretty Simple.

Then you add a button for interest. I found this button in my bag of buttons. Hopefully I don't even up really needing it for some piece of clothing later. :) 

Here is my finished product. Something about my pleats wouldn't allow my tie to lay correctly to scoop. But I decided shaping it like this was still fun. I wear more v-neck shirts anyway. 

And here it is on. I really love it! 

Not bad if I do say so myself! 

And of course the Instagram version. 


Hope this inspires you to raid someones closet or pick up a tie at the thrift store and make some tie fashion! 



Tip Junkie handmade projects




mop it up mondays feature
 

3 comments:

  1. Liz, this is so super creative and cute. Love how it turned out. Also like the pattern of the tie you chose. Would be delighted for you to link up with us over at Mop it Up Mondays: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/02/mop-it-up-mondays-3.html.

    {HUGS},
    kristi
    your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so nice project. I like the colours of this tie.
    Love,
    Hanni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday Link Party

    Natasha xx

    serenityyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete