Thursday, February 23, 2012

Homemade Malasadas

If you have never been to Hawaii, spoken to someone from Hawaii, or know very little of Hawaii and the food people in Hawaii love you have probably never heard of a malasada before. 

If you are one of those people I'm so sorry. You are missing out. 
But don't worry, I'm going to try to help you out there. 

A malasada is a portuguese doughnut that we eat in Hawaii. 
(Did you know I grew up in Hawaii? I think I've mentioned that but if you're new now you know!)  
I don't know if they eat them in Portugal, I really only know that they are AMAZING! 

I found a recipe for malasadas online a few years back but really messed up the recipe the first time I made them. (by myself, with no clue what I was doing) I learned what I did wrong when I made malasadas with my sister. We don't make them very often since the recipe we have is for 7 dozen but I wanted them on Tuesday after seeing all the fat Tuesday posts. So at 8pm we made malasadas, brilliant for my diet I know. 

The dough, it is extremely sticky. 

Frying them up.

Coating with sugar.

The finished project.

Doesn't it look delicious!


Here is the recipe and instructions. If you want more info you can always google malasada recipe and read up there. 

Ingredients:

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry east
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 cup warm water 
6 eggs
6 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
2 cups white sugar

Directions: 

Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/4 cup warm water; set aside. In small bowl, beat eggs until thick. Put flour in large bowl, making a well in the center. Into the well add yeast, eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, melted butter, milk, 1 cup water, and salt. Beat thoroughly to form a soft, smooth, dough. Cover, let dough rise until doubled. 

Heat oil to 375 degrees. Drop dough by big teaspoonfuls into oil, fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels, shake in a bag (or bowl) of sugar to coat and serve hot. Makes 7 dozen. 


Recipe Notes (things I learned)

You have to really beat the eggs. Like whip them. When they say beat the eggs they mean double the size. I did not do this the first time. The oil can't get over 375 degrees. If it does the outside cooks too quickly and the insides are super doughy. Keep the spoonfuls you drop into the oil small at first until you know they are cooking all the way through so you don't waste lots of dough. Make sure you have plenty of people to eat them with you, they are the best hot hot hot! 

Enjoy! 





1 comment:

  1. I have many memories of standing in line at Leonards waiting for hot malasadas in my youth!!Thanks

    ReplyDelete