Monday, March 5, 2012

Pie Fun!

This past Friday I had a girls night with some friends. I volunteered to make desserts for the night. I wanted to make something with fruit and pies were the final decision.

I am probably one of the weirdest people in America with the fact that I do not like apple pie. I don't like cooked apple anything. Apple pie was requested but that meant I needed a dessert I liked as well! I decided to try out a recipe I found on pinterest for a strawberry and cream pie. 

I should also add these pies signal the start to my dessert hiatus. I must stop making desserts every weekend and having them every day. It is not helping my get fit plan at all. 
Sigh....it makes me sad but it must be so. 
This girl is about to go through some major sugar withdrawals!!! 

Anyways, the pies. 

For the apple pie I decided to use the Pioneer Woman's flat apple pie recipe. (She inspires me in so many ways) My sister has her cookbook but you can find the recipe here. It was a very simple recipe to follow. I did cheat a bit by buying pre-made crust, but that possibly backfired on me. 

We had 2 bags of Fiji apples so I used those instead of buying Granny Smith apples.

I may have added a bit more sugar and butter than what she called for....

And this is where the store bought pie crust might have failed. The syrup poured out of my pies. The second pie was worse....or it could have been adding the extra butter. 
Overall I was told the pies turned out fabulous. (The only part of the pie I ate was apple slices when I was cutting my apples.) 

I got the idea for my second pie through Pinterest. I personally LOVE strawberries, they are by far my favorite fruit, and I used to have strawberry pie instead of cake on my birthdays. This strawberry and cream pie just sounded like a great fruity dessert, you can find the recipe I followed here

I didn't take as many pictures of this pie since I made it over two nights. It is a fairly easy recipe to follow as long as you read it. Ya, you read that right and yes that means I didn't read it right at first. Thankfully no major issues came from that just time problems. I baked the crust and made the cream filling the same night as the apple pies.

The cream filling didn't taste quite as sweet as I expected. I was a little worried at first that it wouldn't be sweet enough especially since it isn't strawberry season which means the strawberries aren't that sweet. And that is why I sprinkled sugar over my cut strawberries and added a bit more sugar to my syrup. 

Since I was running late I didn't take pictures of the finished pie until I was at my friends house and we were about to eat it. 

I think it looks pretty and it tasted fabulous! The cream filling had just the right texture and was just sweet enough to play against the strawberries. 

I really enjoyed making the pies and wish I had planned ahead more to make my own pie crusts. I think that would have been fun, worked a bit better for the flat pies, and I love using my sister's new kitchen aid mixer. 

But now it is time to say goodbye to all these dessert posts. I must conduct a dessert making hiatus. I can't have it in my house, I eat it all, I must stick to small small servings if any. 
(I'm not cutting out sweets completely I don't see it necessary and don't want to work on my willpower that much, just keeping it real) 

But when I do get back to dessert making I already have plans to find an awesome strawberry rhubarb pie recipe. 
But that probably doesn't help my dessert hiatus plans....Ooops! 








No comments:

Post a Comment